When
Neighbors Were The News
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back when I was in high school, and, yes, that was an
eye-rolling long time ago, I eagerly awaited the day when the weekly Harlem
News was delivered to the mailbox, a mile down our driveway. We also received
the daily GF Trib, but that was not as fun to read as the local.
Based on my own self, I’m confident that Everybody read
Every Article, front headlines to back page sales ads. I might modify that to
Almost Everybody read Every Article, since, after all, I read cereal boxes if
nothing else was available. (Books were not allowed at the meal table.)
Of course, we read every scribble. The news was all about
our neighbors, and what is more fascinating than our neighbors.
Each week, prior to press deadline, women sat down in front
of their telephone with a list of reliable informants, other women, because
back then, men were out in the fields or were running the hardware store or insurance office
and such, and dialed down the list, querying what was happening within the
family and the area, jotting down every tidbit of gossip, I mean, news, which
then made it into print, perhaps with judicious editing.
This homey style news reporting went on for years. When did
such neighborly news quit being gathered? I knew that everyone in Harlem heard
when Paul Ashton’s daughter, Sondra, living in Great Falls or Santa Cruz or
Denver or Chicago or Missoula or Poulsbo, Washington, visited.
I suppose social media, in all its forms, replaced the
neighborly news. It’s not the same. We do not all indulge.
I enjoyed knowing that relatives visited, that friends
gathered for Sunday fried-chicken dinner after church, that somebody hosted
cards Saturday evening, that neighbors gathered to harvest a crop when the
owner broke a leg or was otherwise incapacitated. It’s small news, but important
when our neighbor’s son or daughter at an out-of-state University wins a accolade
of some sort. We need to know who might need a casserole delivered during tough
times.
In the spirit of old-timey news, I report the following from
my own back yard neighborhood:
It’s been a rainy, wet, week at Rancho Esperanza, but the
daily storms did not curtail neighborly visiting, card playing, quick visits
back and forth or over the fence.
Last Tuesday, Nancie, with her daughter, Julie, and Julie’s
husband, Dan, arrived to spend a week at Nancie’s Rancho casita. Nancie is my
cousin, so I have been doubly delighted to spend time with relatives.
Thursday Janet, from next door to me, invited those few of
us here, for homemade ice cream. With her new-fangled modern ice-cream mixer, Janet
can be dubbed our ice cream lady. Janet served a choice of vanilla with mango
sauce or butter pecan. Several guests enjoyed a scoop of each. Those attending
were the hostess, Janet, Lani and Ariel, Leo, Nancie, Julie and Dan, and my own
self.
Sunday afternoon, following yet another storm, the above
group, along with Leo’s two young nieces, met in town at the Mi Casa
Restaurante for a bon voyage feast of traditional area foods. On Monday morning,
Nancie, Dan, Julie and Lani fly off to homes in Washington State. The group
table was soon cluttered with plates and bowls, empty of pozole, tostados,
flautas and enchiladas. A good time was had by all.
Sondra Ashton
Looking out my back door
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment