My Farm Crisis
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You can take the girl out of the farm but you can’t take the
farmer out of the girl. Okay, so I don’t really have a farm, but I have a
lovely mango tree in my back yard, and therein, my farm crisis.
I’m standing at my window looking into my back yard at my
mango tree, so loaded with fruit that we had to make stilts to keep the
branches from breaking and to hold the fruit off the ground.
Today the reason I’m standing in my house looking out is
that the rain, has not let up, cycling, ‘round and ‘round, through drizzle,
mizzle and pizzle to light, moderate and unrelenting pounding, heavy on the
pounding, all night and all day.
I love rain. You know I love rain. Every year I await our
rainy season with fear and trepidation that after eight months dry, dry, dry,
it will never rain again. Every year it rains again. Every year I love the rain
all over again.
This year the rain came, daily, three weeks early. During sizzling
heat of April and May I watched my tree form lovely mango fruits and grow them
to size, almost ripe. With the rains, it seemed the green globes, which now
should be yellow, quit changing. Quit growing. Quit coloring. Quit ripening.
Why? What’s wrong? Me, being who I am, I think I need to
know why.
During lulls in rain, I moved around my tree, branch to
branch, fondling the fruit. Any that felt almost ready to eat, emphasis on
almost, I brought into the house to finish ripening. In that manner, one day I
ate one mango, the next day two or three.
As a farmer facing an apparent bumper crop, forgive my
mixing cliché and metaphor, I had been counting my chickens before they laid
eggs. In my mind, I could see jars of yellow jam on my cupboard shelf, had gifted
jars to all my neighbors, had filled bags of mango fruit in the freezer for
future pies at community gatherings. Mango mania in my mind.
When I peeled my first basket of mangos, enough for a pie, I
discovered that half were mushy and brown inside, despite feeling firm and
looking perfect. Oops, no pie. Same disappointment the following day but with
two days harvest, I had enough fruit for a pie to share with my neighbors. We
love mango pie.
What I didn’t count on was that our early, daily, rain with
cloudy skies, which brought on a lot of hallelujah and hoopla from me, also
meant a 20-30 degree daily drop in temperature along with a serious drop in
hours of sunshine and a halt in the ripening process of my mango fruit.
That’s my theory of why my mangos quit ripening. No worms.
No bugs. Fruits are beautiful. Outside. Brown inside. My reasoning may be
wrong, blaming the exuberant rain and lack of sun, but, my reasoning works for
me.
I will not be totally bereft. I forced myself to lower my
expectations. I’ll not make jam this year. Oh, I’ll have some mangos for the
freezer. I’ll have a couple pies to take to community gatherings.
You can truthfully tell me that I’m not having a real farm
crisis. I’ll nod my head in agreement. But, dang it, it feels like a real crisis
to me.
My herbs look good. The limes love the rain. The hibiscus,
all colors, can hardly hold up their soggy heads but they keep trying. Those
strange orange flowers, and the lantana and crepe myrtle, lilies and most other
flowers are flourishing.
Silly me, to put all my hopes on my one mango tree. I know
better. I should have bought a box when the truck from Tequila, where the yellow
mangos I love ripen a month earlier than mine, sets up their stand along the
highway.
What do all we farmers say when a crop fails? Oh, well. Shrug.
Next year.
Sondra Ashton
Looking out my back door
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment