Living With
Lizards
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Last night when I swished back my bedcovers and hoisted my
legs into bed, a small creature slithered from top to bottom of the bed on the
other side. My immediate fear was of a scorpion. My fear was immediately
relieved by my astute scorpion knowledge. This critter was too skinny, it
didn’t attack and the outline shape didn’t fit. Whew!
The part of me which wanted to ignore my bed partner was
overruled by the part of me which had to know. Out of bed and around. Oh, cute.
A baby gecko, about two inches long. I left the child perched on the lower corner
and climbed back into bed.
I know an adult gecko lives in my bedroom. I’m familiar with
it, used to her presence. She’s lived with me for months, perhaps years. I give
it no attention except an occasional, “Nighty night.” She likes to hang onto
the window screen, hoping a mosquito will slither through the mesh, which
happens. It talks to me most nights. I don’t speak lizard, so I’ve no idea what
she says. In the daytime, the gecko hangs out behind a picture frame.
When I first moved to Etzatlan, whenever I would spot a
lizard, any lizard, seen because they move so quickly, I would startle. You
know. The involuntary jump, heart in throat, squeak response. Lizards come in several
sizes, colors, styles. They blend into their backgrounds so well, you hardly
know they are around until they move. Those little guys are whip fast. In short
time, lizards became background to me. I see them everywhere, and now I hardly
register that they are present.
Of course, there are iguanas too, a different creature
entirely. I appreciate lizards, including the geckos, for eating ants and flies
and mosquitoes, of which, there are too many. Iguanas are vegetarian, favorite
food being my hibiscus blossoms, preferably each eaten in a whole gulp. I’ve
considered making iguana soup, or iguana on a stick. Tastes like chicken,
right?
Back in bed, my mind wanted to play a game: If a mama gecko
hatches one egg, how many eggs might a mama gecko hatch? I told my mind, “Shut
up and go to sleep. I’m too tired to play.” Sometimes that works. Do they lay
eggs? That started a whole new train of thought? Where is papa gecko? Is the
gecko I heard outside my living room window really inside my living room? Soon
the boxcars began lining up on the siding.
I’m tired and a tired mind makes up its own stories. Do we
need a daddy gecko? How many geckos live with me? Do they go outside? How do
they get inside/outside? Chug, chug, toot, toot. I recalled picking up two
kernels of gecko, uh, evidence, from beneath my coat rack by the door. Finally,
the train motion lulled me to sleep.
Sondra Ashton
Looking out my back door
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No comments:
Post a Comment