Friday, April 10, 2020

This Time Reminds Me


                                                This Time Reminds Me
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It must have been the winter of ’65-‘66. I was pregnant with Dee Dee who was born in April. Harvey and I lived on the ranch south of Dodson. A mile-long dirt drive with three ‘farmer gates’ of barbed wire strung onto diamond willow sticks separated us from the highway, only three more miles from town.

That grim winter we were snowed in for ninety days straight. Every day of that time our thermometer on the post registered below zero. Wind drifted each snowfall until packed into hard crusts.

Not by choice but necessity, I helped break and learned to drive Harry and August, our young, unbroken team of Percheron workhorses. King and Queenie had become too feeble, too long in the tooth to work under such adverse conditions.

Harry and August could not put up too much fuss against the high drifts. Harvey climbed atop the stack, forked hay onto the sleigh. I held the team. Once loaded, I drove the horses while Harvey forked hay from atop the sleigh down to the hungry herd.

Mealtimes became creative adventures when we ran out of basic supplies such as flour, sugar and dry beans. Before Christmas, Harvey took the team and sleigh to town to pick up much-needed kitchen staples, to send my letters and Christmas cards and pick up our mail. 

Nobody out our way had a telephone. During that three month period, the only person other than my husband I spoke with was Hugh Kienenberger, the blacksmith in town, and that only because the pump broke.

Cattle had to have water. It was minus thirty that day in January. The cattle could survive a day or two without food but water was a necessity.

Harvey saddled up Sputnik for me while I donned all the warm clothing I had I tied the broken pump piece behind the saddle and rode into Dodson, big belly and all.

I don’t know how I managed to get those dang gates open and closed again with the heavy snowdrifts. I remember I left the last one open until my return trip.

While the blacksmith hammered out a new pump part for me, I huddled close to his huge cast-iron red-hot wood/coal stove, trying to thaw my feet for the ride back where Harvey was feeding the cattle by himself.

I made it home before dark, fired up my own wood/coal cook stove and fixed supper.

Harvey put the pump back together. A hundred-fifty bawling cattle crowded against the tank for a drink.

Vast differences separate three months of weather-enforced isolation that winter and this first month of self-enforced isolation, not the least being the ease of life in my spot of paradise in Mexico.

Perhaps the main or most vital difference was our focus. The simple feeding, doctoring and care of the cattle took up our days. We had not been able to use the tractor with the forklift to feed since mid-November when the snows piled up.

We had a radio, my constant companion in the kitchen. When we came in for lunch, usually soup I made the previous night, we listened to Paul Harvey. That summer we’d bought a used television from a man in Malta. Paid the handsome price of twenty-five dollars, scrounged from the household budget. We seldom missed “Gunsmoke”, “Bonanza” or “Ed Sullivan”.

We usually caught the newscast. Was it at 5:00 or 6:00? If there was news at ll:00 on our one channel out of Great Falls, we were asleep by then.

Believe me, life was neither ideal nor romantic. Like all things and times in the past, some memories seem sweet, some I would not want to return for any reason.  

I would trade the brutal cold, the fears, the sore muscles, the lack of things we today consider necessities, and the harsh conditions of that harsh winter for one day of relief from living in this nightmare “Reality Show” of today, in which we all play a role.

Sondra Ashton
HDN: Looking out my back door
April 9, 2020
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment