Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Gloomy in Glendive


Gloomy in Glendive
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
            I would like to tell you it is all about the weather. I would be lying. Even though it seems like rain has followed me from Washington to Glacier Park to Harlem to Glendive, I am simply not that powerful.

            I do not make the rain. Much as I would like to think it is all about me, it is not. Nor is it all about the weather. Weather is weather. Variable. Today weather is rain. This is Montana. Tomorrow weather might bring a heat wave. Or it might snow.

            This week and a half is for Family. My older daughter and her family, to be explicit.

            The players: My daughter, Dee Dee. Her husband, Chris. Their daugher, Antoinette who is twelve. And their older daughter, Jessica, who has two babies, Harper at three and Kyla, one and a half.

            Jessica graciously gave up her bedroom to me. The bonus, for me, is that I get to know her baby girls.

            When I arrived in Glendive, my Dee Dee was in a tizzy over her own housing. The family has been planning to move—in a year. Suddenly, they were given notice that the owner has other plans that take precedence over their own plans. They have to move. So much for plans.

            Can adult children have meltdowns? Of course. This adult mama almost melted alongside her daughter. It is allowed. Adults have more understanding of where we are when we dissolve into a puddle on the floor than the average two-year-old And we did not stay on the floor and stomp our feet. Scream and cry? Well, a little.

            My daughter has visions of living in cardboard boxes under a railroad overpass. Oh, dear, I am afraid I passed that image down to her through some weird genetic transfer. I wanted to rescue her. I cannot.

            She and Chris will find a house. Their sense of panic will recede. They will not paste newspaper for insulation onto the walls of an abandoned barn. Older and wiser, I know this. (That sounds really good, doesn’t it? The older and wiser part.)

            I have told her for years that they needed to get out of that moldy old house. So, panic or no, moving is a good thing.

            Now, for the bad news. Our baby girl, Kyla, happy and bouncy and full of love and kisses, the little flirt, woke one morning crabby and cranky and warmish. After a round of tests, the doctor put her in ICU. Her white cell count was dangerously high. The doctor quickly ruled out meningitis or cancer. They are shoving antibiotics into her veins, hydrating her, and lots of poking and pinching as well as every kind of test. But they cannot seem to find the cause. Or they are not telling us their suspicions. (Maybe a good thing.)

            We human creatures, helpless most of the time, seem to think if we just know what “it” is, then we can control or fix it or make it go away. When we find out what “it” is, we usually find that we are still helpless.

            Kyla’s illness certainly puts our small woes into perspective. It is difficult to worry over one’s paltry concerns when a baby is suffering. Everyone pitched in to take care of Harper while her Mom is at the hospital with the baby.

            What next? I said it. Snow. Big deal. Snow is simply weather. When September waved good-bye, she went out with an evil cackle of witchery, piling snow over Montana. October stomped in, boots crunching through frost, snow and a glaze of ice. This is Montana.

            I’m headed home to my little casita and what flowers the iguanas have not eaten. I would whine, but nobody would listen.

            Weepy eyes, runny nose, scratchy throat and all, still, I sing, “But I’m on my way, won’t be back for many a day. My heart is down, my head is turning around, I had to leave a little girl in Glendive town.”

Sondra Ashton

HDN: Looking out my back door

October 4, 2018
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment