Monday, March 2, 2015

All Dreams Fall From the Same Sky

                                    All Dreams Fall From the Same Sky
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
            Upbeat. Uplifting. Positive. I like to fill my weekly articles with humor and hope. Re-read the title, an ancient Hopi expression. That’s all the hope I have to give you.  

            This is my second week under house arrest, chained to my walker. I know I am healing. I know it is a slow process. My mind knows. My heart is unrealistic. I want surgery last week followed by entering the 10 K this week and perhaps a full-on tri-athalon next week. I feel like Snow White with the six dwarfs: restless, irritable, discontent, itchy, ache-y and twitchy. I could identify a seventh dwarf, something like “frothing at the mouth” but that seems excessive. And the six are more alliterative.

            Truthfully, I was never that athletic with my old hip and I’ve no intention of running with Rosie, my new hip. I’m merely describing my frustrations.

            To add insult to injury, this is the week of Carnival in Mazatlan, a week chock full and overflowing with fun festivities, parades, floats, dancers, “bandas”, mimes, jugglers, acrobats, the crowning of royalty and generally whooping it up.

            Not only that, Valentine’s Day is around the corner. Don’t get me wrong; I treasure aspects of my solitude. But I have to admit that coming home to rattle around in an empty house following hip-replacement surgery, adds mud to my wallow. As long as I insist on immersing in self-pity, I might as well dig deep and get down and dirty.

            But if I were going to send out lacy, frilly, old fashioned valentines to everyone I love and whom I know love me, the cards would stack to make a tower. First on my list would be all of you who have surrounded me with love and prayer and good wishes.

            Next I would have to hand giant valentine cards to a few people around me who have demonstrated love with skin on it.

            Almost daily emails or phone calls from my daughters, Dee Dee and Shea, friends Dick and Jane, Shirley, Kathy, Richard and others, mean more than the sun and moon to me.

            My immediate neighbors, Ted and Frank, check several times daily to make sure I am okay and to get me anything I might need. Ted’s girlfriend, Theresa, cleaned my house and refused to take payment beyond a heart-felt hug. Frank brought me a chunk of chocolate cake.

            Carlos refilled my prescriptions and took money to pay my electric bill, a whopping seventy-six pesos. He and Selena are on call for me any time I need them.

            Sylvia and Reuben from the Luncheria at the corner, deliver meals to my own table on week days. Reuben goes to the market every morning at 5:30 to shop for the day’s supplies. All my food is fresh and delicious. Sylvia comes to wash my feet, possibly the nicest gift of all, and help me on with a clean pair of Hot Sox, my equivalent of support stockings.

            A special card goes to Dr. Valle, my surgeon, who comes to my house to check progress, removed stitches, and bring me some of my medicine. I know this is hard to believe, but it is part of the full-meal deal that I paid for with hospitalization and surgery. I have only good things to say about my medical treatment.

            Well, mostly good things. Now I have excessive exercises to do and orders to get out in the sunshine and walk, walk, walk.

            Wish I could say the same good words for Mexican postal service. I would gladly send you each a real, homemade valentine. Fifty or sixty percent of you might actually receive them.   Probably in May.

            With love, Happy Valentine’s Day.

Sondra Ashton
HDN: Looking out my back door

February 12, 2015
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment