Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Letters Home

Letters Home
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dear Richard,

            Across the street the sewer main sprung a vicious leak. Nasty, smelly water is burbling up, sending a gray putrid pool down the street my way. The break is right on the corner of Calle del Pulpo and Tiberon. Actually, I don’t know where the break is but that is where the icky water is gushing out. Please send the guys down to fix it. With all the flooding going on, a side effect of Hurricane Norberto, I don’t when the city crew here can get to it. I would call in the break but I don’t know who to call or how to find the department, my Spanglish being still poor and all. You and your crew could have this fixed in the morning and spend the afternoon on the beach; a well-deserved rest.

            Fortunately the hurricane by-passed Mazatlan. The winds tore down some palapas and the waves rearranged the beach sand a bit. Today is warm and sunny with no rain in sight. I’ll start a batch of shrimp tamales for a snack.

*****

Dear Kathy,

            Remember when we walked Pacific Beach during the storm that time we stayed at the Sandpiper? That is what the waves looked like, rolling in from far out in the Pacific and bashing against the seawall. There was no beach left to walk and I was glad to be solidly up on the Malecon, looking over the water, being splashed now and again by sea foam.

We were lucky the hurricane didn't hit here, only residual winds and rains. There is so much water that streets in some areas remind me of Venice, which I've seen only in pictures and imagination. My apartment is safe. My floor is eighteen inches above street level. The rain pounded for hours and over-filled the street, lapped onto the sidewalks. But once the rains abated, the water drained quickly. This happened several times each day.

I've got a feeling all the drains couldn't handle the load. There is a murky pool, bubbling like a spring, on my street, creating a miasma of swamp gas. I put in a request for Richard to come fix it. Sure hope the city crew have passports in order.

*****

Dear Richard,

            It is past noon and I haven’t heard a word from you. Probably your plane is delayed over Phoenix or something. I’m sure you have a good excuse for not showing up yet. The stink is getting worse. Let me remind you that I did the hard work: I made plane reservations and secured seats for you. I arranged for Elias to meet you at the airport with his Taxi to bring you here.  If you haven’t left yet, would you please bring me a pair of tall mud boots, preferably red but black will do. I think Chuck and I have about the same size feet. Thank you.

*****

Dear Antoinette and Lexi,


            School has been out all week, what with the continuous rain and flooded streets. Bet you wish you were here and could play all day. I would take us to Chili Peppers for lunch, rent a beach umbrella and spend the day building sand castles, as long as it doesn't rain.

*****

Dear Jane,

            The last few days have been exciting, what with flooded streets, including mine, with lagoons where open lots and playgrounds used to be, with schools and offices closed because employees cannot get to work.

            Right now I’m waiting to hear from the public works director in Harlem. I requested that he bring down a crew to fix the broken sewer line that is spewing filth on my street. The break is across from my apartment. I thought it would be a lovely gesture—a “hands across the border” sort of thing.
*****

Dear Richard,

            It is raining again and still no word from you. I’m getting worried. Are you on vacation? Is this the week of your daughter’s wedding? Should I call Dave from Havre? Did you retire?

            If I don’t hear from you in the next hour, I am going to the clinic for a tetanus booster, typhoid shots and anything else I can get. Then to a hotel for the night. You have my number. Call me.

*****

Sondra Ashton
HDN: Looking out my back door
September 11, 2014
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment